Our Unitarian Universalist beliefs encourage us – require us – to make this world and our local community better for our having been here. One way we have taken on this challenge is to donate our 4th Sunday offering to a local non-profit that is doing work that we believe is important and that supports our beliefs. Decisions are made on the basis of the importance of the work. Some of the groups to whom we have donated funds are:
- Friendship House shelter
- Food banks in Mt. Vernon, Anacortes, Sedro Woolley, and Clear Lake
- The Well church that provides shelter for the homeless on cold nights.
- Christ the King church that feeds the hungry several days each week
- Meals on Wheels for seniors
- Skagit Community Action Agency
- Preschool classes for Hispanic children
We have partnered with the Skagit Immigrant Rights Council when there are projects that require additional help.
Believing that children need to learn compassion and generosity, too, the CRE program raised money by selling artwork made by the children. They then chose 3 groups to receive the donation anad delivered the funds in person.